Dinner

Course Dinner

On Wednesday night, directly following the program there will be a bus taking the participants to 'De Waag'  (The Weigh House) for an informal course dinner in the Medieval city centre. De Waag is on walking distance of the hotels.

De Waag

 

 

‘De Waag’ or ‘the Weigh House’ was built in 1488 as one of Amsterdam’s city gates, St. Anthony’s Port. In 1601 the city’s walls were torn down to allow Amsterdam to expand further. St. Anthony’s Port remained standing, although it was now redundant. In 1617 the former city gate was provided with a new function: that of a weight house. A new function was also found for the upper floors of the city gate. The largest room became the guardroom of one of the city’s militia companies. The other rooms were assigned to various guilds. Each guild was given its own entrance. All kind of details on the outside walls recall this period, such as above the door leading to the surgeons’ guild the inscription; theatrum anatomicum. This amphitheatre was built by the surgeons’ guild for anatomical lectures. In the centre stood a dissection table on which the corpse of a recently executed criminal could be cut up. These demonstrations were open to the public and proved immensely popular in Amsterdam.

It was especially for the theatre that Rembrandt painted his famous Anatomical Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp in 1632, currently at the Mauritshuis in The Hague. In 1996 Restaurant In de Waag opened its doors in the Weigh House on the Nieuwmarkt. After dinner a guided short walking tour through the historic city centre to the course hotels has been arranged.
IOC logo

IOC Accredited Center